The Face that Stopped 9 Buses

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-


by Hannah Shamina O. Cosinero
Have you ever seen the face that launched a thousand ships? Or maybe heard it?
That’s Helen of Troy. The most beautiful woman in Troy. The one Paris and Menelaus fought for, thus the thousand ships.
But I’m not here to tell you that. I’m here to tell you about something, no someone, I once met. An ordinary girl, yet she did something not-so-ordinary. In fact, she had the face that stopped 9 buses.
Not-so-ordinary? Actually, for me it was funny, and somewhat refreshing. Let me tell you the story.
It was the last day of NYSTESC 2011 in Iloilo. During the field trip, I was the facilitator handling the fated bus. We were on our way to one of the stop-overs. We were halfway in the trip, when a girl tried to catch my attention.
Her words stopped me.
“Ate! Naiihi po ako”.
Panic set in. We were in the middle of the road! And there are many buses ahead and behind us. What do I do? The truth, this was my first time.
Good thing I have someone of “authority” with me.
We told the driver the situation. He said we have to wait to get to the next place where she can pee. I told her to sit still. The trip went on.
After I few minutes, still in the middle of the road, she caught my attention again.
“Ate hindi ko na po kaya. Pwede kahit sa daan na lang po”.
I had to suppress my laughter. Did she really say that? In broad daylight? She must really be in that level.
We had convinced the driver to stop somewhere deserted with grasses. I had to go down and try to cover her with a jacket while she peed in the side of the road. While holding the jacket I looked around.
I really find that moment cool. That was the first time I saw buses stop just for one girl.
It was really a fun experience, for me since I was a first time faci. It was memorable.
One thing. This I say. We all have our own moment. Bloopers.
P.S. Don’t ask her name, I don’t know, she wasn’t one of my kids. Spare her. X)
Hannah Shamina O. Cosiñero
Facilitator, CAMP 2011

Search This Blog