Metamorphosis

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

by Reyshanne Joy Marquez
Given an immense opportunity of being the chairperson of this year’s Regional Council, particularly region 4-A, has ample of things to do with me hereafter, I know. This is it. If I don’t get it here, I won’t get it anywhere. The experience of being a member of this wide organization right here and now is perhaps one of the “to-be” functions of my life. And I believe that place wouldn’t find me to have experience, but it is I who will find a place to have the said experience. And now, here’s the place for me to have it. That’s why I grabbed it!
I still can’t quite believe it. Although there was something about the fact that it was a first time chairperson, first time camp for me and a first time with other PSYSC affiliates. First Day – This was April 7, 2010. It was a day full of mixed emotions, which is excitement with fear, confidence with timidity. It happened to be the unprepared camp I’ll be joining. Why? That day was our school’s graduation day. All the administrators and teachers were required to be there. But then our Assistant Principal – Dr. Rogelio Canuel (who was also our Adviser) said that we’ll be going right away. Obviously, we’re not equipped because of the recently held meeting where he stated that we’ll be joining on the 8th of this month. So, we had no choice. We only had two hours to prepare our necessities.
Expectedly, we came here late because of what had happened. But then it was never a barrier for us to call off our registration. Being late, and seeing other students already enjoying themselves, I somehow felt sad, scared and ashamed. I have no one to talk to, to laugh with and to and to have a moment with.
Knowing my schedule, we immediately went to Alfonso Hotel. Seated there are my colleagues for the Leadership Training Seminar. There we had the first topic to thrash out and that’s entitled “SA PISOYSI”. In this, the committee talked all about PSYSC and had a discussion that concerns organization-school relation. They also introduced the PSYSC’s National Council. We also talked about field affiliations. There I knew that I am an affiliate myself. We also joined the opening night and I was mesmerized by the event they prepared. Additionally, I learned another word, which is “SALUTEY”. J
Here comes another fruitful day, April 8, 2010. I woke up and got myself prepared for this day’s happenings. After I had breakfast, we walked by the wintry road and went again to Alfonso Hotel for another lecture to be learned. With Kuya Ryan’s motivating activity, “3 facts and a lie”, my mind got alert because of its awakening dynamics. Afterwards, he began discussing about the Organizational Behavior of this PSYSC. Followed next is the topic that tackles about leadership: “Leadership” defined in several ways. We had an activity that is about the qualities of a good leader. It wasn’t my first time to face people in front and to present something in front. But there, it seemed that I am nervous, I am not confident of whatever words I’ll utter. However, it changed when the presentation keeps on going, my anxiety decreased and I felt somewhat confident than before. Closely, it’s because of the given appreciation of our listeners and the affable companion of my group mates. Then we were asked to choose whether what committee we wanted to join and I preferred the Engineering Committee. Honestly, I chose this one for the reason that I was amazed by the AVPs presented in the Opening Night. That’s what I really liked!
After choosing, I had my first ever moment with my co-leaders. We had our lunch together with lots of stories, laughter and photographs. There I knew that they really are easy to be friends with. Then we went to our respective committees afterwards. There I met Ate Leah and Kuya Dean. They both were welcoming, responsive, sociable and warm. During the School Quiz Bee, they let me assist them in presenting the output, in holding the timer and recording scores. After the quiz bee, they thought me how the AVPs were made, discussed what other tasks are assigned to them. One thing I’ll never forget about them – be organized. They are making movies, presentations, and other documents of different categories. They said that I should keep them in their particular folders so as to have an organized file and that they were easy to locate whenever they were needed. That’s one thing I’ve learned that I cannot only apply in making AVPs, but also in my everyday life.
Exactly this time, I am here in front of my paper, writing down words before me, coming across with all the things I’ve written, smiling with all the things that happened for the very short 2 days of my stay in this camp and at the same time looking for the words that I can write to express how pleased I am that once in my life, I became one of the delegates 2010 in NYSTESC, which I will surely treasure for the rest of my life.
With the 2-hour quiet time I had, I learned that happiness is not something that I experienced; it’s something that I remember.
Reyshanne Joy Marquez
University of Batangas, Region 4a

Search This Blog