My Reflection on the Leadership Training Seminar 2010

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

by Mary Lucy G. Domaug
I consider my attendance to this Leadership Training Seminar 2010 worthwhile. I did not expect that I will be joining the group of “would be” leaders and Science Club Advisers and gain a lot of things from this training. I was hesitant to attend the training for I was thinking that what I will be experiencing would be the same as that of the 2000 Leadership Training Seminar held at Cebu City.
Handling an organization is not an easy task. It entails a lot of things. The workshop on identifying the qualities of a science club adviser served as a guide to assess myself whether I possess all those qualities shared by my co-science club advisers. Are those qualities evident in me or not? What are those qualities I need to enhance and those to be changed? In the philosophy preference assessment, I came to know that I am a realist person. As a department head, this can be of help in assessing the philosophy in life of each of your teachers in the field. In the decision making workshop, I came to realize that setting a goal and soliciting ideas from other members of the group are very important in attaining the organizational goal. The leader should not decide by himself; it should be the decision of the group that should be followed.
In the first film we viewed, what the teacher experienced in there was quite similar to what I experienced as a teacher. I let two of my students in my advisory class stay with my family due to poverty. One of my students, a girl, was staying in a small home where the roof was made of nipa and the walls with used cheesecloth. Her parents were in Manila. Her father was a carpenter and her mother was a laundry woman. She still has two younger brother and sister living with them. Her parents could hardly support her schooling. I talked and offered her to stay with us. I pity her for she was good in class. Furthermore, I was worried about her situation for she’s a girl living in a small house alone. Another student came to me crying and told me that she will drop from the roll. I asked her the reason why she had to drop from her classes. She told me that she reported to school without eating her meals. She could no longer concentrate with her studies and could not participate in the group project for she doesn’t have a single centavo to share for the project. I talked to her mother and asked her if she wanted to have her daughter stay with me. She agreed so I let my student stay with my family.
The game on the Fastest Time was great! I appreciated it much as a team building activity. What I learned from it was how well each member of the group cooperated for the success of the tasks given. In classroom interactions, this can be of help in motivating student’s participation in the discussion of the day’s lesson.
As an adviser of the science club, my role would be easy for the student leader was taught on how to prepare a project proposal before conducting a planned activity.
As a whole, I thank you all for the great and wonderful experience I got from this training.
Mary Lucy G. Domaug, Adviser
Sorsogon National High School, Sorsogon City, Region 5

Search This Blog