We are Servant Leaders

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

by Mrs. Grace Ancheta-Holt
Leaders. Role models. Motivations. Servants.
The conduct of various leadership trainings is a good avenue for students to sharpen their skills and broaden their understanding about being a LEADER. But what really is the key to becoming a great leader? Do you really have to be the most intelligent, most articulate, bravest, or most popular? Certainly, a person who can be a combination of all these traits plus a willing heart, bingo!
This seminar conducted by the NEC of the PSYSC truly brought out the sleeping leadership skills of the chosen few participants from the different regions. Not only the students had the chance to harness their leadership skills but also the science club advisers – the life of the club. My role as an adviser is very crucial in the success of the club; therefore, I also have to possess the qualities of a good leader in order to deliver the club to the top.
The activities were really fun and exciting. The lectures were even more uplifting. Kuya Ryan is indeed a pro when it comes to stuff like this. I never felt bored in the discussion. Most of the time, the talk becomes more and more engaging. I can’t say anything less for the films shown. They were really inspirational stories showing the dedication and love of teachers to their students. I have seen similar films (e.g. Coach Carter, a movie by Antonio Banderas and many others) that really motivate students and teachers to strengthen the bond between them. Indeed, I feel so lucky to have been part of this life changing endeavor.
I must admit, in the teaching profession, I am still a neophyte (3 years experience) as compared to the Sirs and Ma’ams I was with for the last three days. But I can say that I always have this desire to actively participate and get involved. Given the chance like this, who would ever want to let go and kill it? Nope, not me.
The LTS made me realize that concerted efforts will truly effect change. We have the capacity to attain our goals only if we are strong enough to take challenges. A leader never says “no”. I really thank you for this wonderful opportunity. I hope to meet you again soon.
A deep realization dawned at me. Leaders are not mere mortals who tell people what to do and how to do it. Leaders are not superficial beings who rely on others. Leaders are good followers. Leaders are good listeners. Leaders are servants.
Mrs. Grace Ancheta-Holt
Adviser, BHC Educational Institution, Inc., Region 1
LTS 2010 - Camp Tagaytay

Search This Blog