My Life Is My Message

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

By Kelvin Charles S. Nahial
“The youth are the hope of our country,” that has always been a striking quotation from our national hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal. I was an ordinary and typical student from Cagayan de Oro City before. Wake up early in the morning, study hard, make friends and do assignments, those were my jobs during weekdays.
That practice however ended at the age of fourteen. I started to enter the public service arena. Having been equipped with some courage and talents I was able to prove unto many people what I really dreamed of.
Last March 20, 2010, I was elected as the chairperson of Region 10. Compared to my electorates, I had no experience but I only had my indomitable spirit that I bring everywhere I am. I felt that was the peak of my life, but little then did I realize that was only a few pages in the book that has been told. The 2010 National Youth Science, Technology and Environment Summer Camp was coming. I was so reluctant at first, but then I gained so much inspiration from my parents and from the students of my region.
I find experience as a very good tool as a teacher for me. The good thing about it is that you are that undergoes and you are still the one who can pick important lessons in your life. And I do believe that the 2010 NYSTESC will contribute many useful things in me.
“Once a PSYSC, a PSYSC forever”, that was a very inspiring statement for me. Not only that you hear that from many people, but it drives you and pushes yourself to the limit. I also knelt knowing that PSYSC came from a humble and dedicated group of leaders. It is also very inspiring to know that there are those who until at this point even time had gone through them; they are still a PSYSC by heart.
“One cannot function that well without the help of the other,” that is the capsulated definition of an organization. Every single individual has its own strengths and weaknesses. In an organization the weak point is being molded and the strength is being sharpened. The fact that you meet different characteristics and personalities alone is the challenge for every one of us.
“A leader is someone who has mission and vision who can make impossible things into reality,” that is how I define what a leader should be. As Socrates once said, “It is easier to wear your shoes than to carpet the whole world.” That means that we need to embrace the truth that we cannot change the whole world if we do not change ourselves. A proper way of throwing our garbage can save the 90 million lives of Filipino people. That is the challenge for us on how we can divert such mission and vision into reality. Ninoy Aquino once said, “In the age of darkness you can be the candle that brings light or the mirror that reflects its light.” Being a leader is very hard, sometimes you really need to give everything from you for the people to be in comfort.
“Good leaders work hand-in-hand,” that’s what a committee should be. The task is easier when there is a common goal of a team and there is always a hand that is available in the times that we need it. The Pyramid of Giza wouldn’t be standing today without the collaborative effort of the people during that time. The human race would not exist without the sweat of Noah when he and his animals built the Ark.  There would be no ships, airplanes, trains without the word “service.” Now we really see how the word really helped us even from the period of our existence.
As I always remind myself and my fellow youth, that we may not be brilliant as Einstein nor as heroic as Rizal but we have our own God-given uniqueness that could help in making a difference. It doesn’t really matter what great things you had done, it’s all about doing little things that most people may just take for granted.
Kelvin Charles S. Nahial
Mindanao University of Science & Technology, Region 10

Search This Blog