My First Encounter with the CSIW

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

By Demi Abaniel

Days before the CSIW 2010, everyone was still busy with all the last-minute preparations to do. I had to learn the dance routine. To tell you the truth, I am not a dancer. I detest activities where I have to dance. Thanks to my co-dancers, the audience will not notice me. I have mixed emotions about the upcoming CSIW 2010. This is not the first time I have facilitated an event but this is the first time I will handle children. I was a bit scared that I might do something wrong and fail the event’s organizers. I was also a bit nervous that I might not meet their expectations for me as a facilitator. I am also worried about all the stuff I still have to do. However, to top all of the emotions gruelling inside my body, excitement took the rest of me. It is hard to digest the fact that there are more or less 900 participants composed of teachers and elementary students we have to handle.

When we met our aurines or “anaks”, I felt a slight sense of confusion. I did not know how to make the first move. I was torn between the friendly approach and the slightly strict tactic. I wanted to know them and become their big sister but not that close for I might not get their respect. Then, I realized these children spent their money, time, and effort to come here and have fun so I might as well throw the strict technique and just be me. Luckily, my anaks accepted my imposed hand signals and me. Although they already showed signs of exhaustion, I had no choice but to encourage them to mingle with one another. This part was not easy so I had to memorize their nicknames so that I could call and introduce them to one another. Nevertheless, in the midst of the noise, I spotted a kid that was just on his seat. I can’t just let him be alone there so I talked to him. It turned out that he was a shy boy. In order to help him, I had to pull a kid aside and introduce them to one another and the rest is history.

As the days passed, I grew closer to the kids. They were easy to deal with especially after some motivation. However, this wasn’t always the case. There were times we shared some different views especially with the time schedule of the activities. Fortunately, we were able to do some negotiation and a lot of persuasion.

At the end of this memorable event, I learned many lessons from both the people I worked with and the kids I spent time. I learned that you should just let things happen. Do not try to overdo it with the kids. They will have fun as long as you are having fun. I realized this event would not be this remarkable if it was not for these people who stood by me. No matter how tired and sleep-deprived we were, once we were up in the stage and doing the froggy dance, we were so alive and happy. That is something I would miss from CSIW 2010.

Demi Abaniel
Facilitator, CSIW 2010

Search This Blog