A Decision that Changed My Life

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

By Kenneth Desegano Lagamayo

Two years ago, I was one of them. I was one of students aspiring to gain knowledge during lectures, doing workshops, socializing with my co-sub campers, making friends and dreaming of becoming a facilitator. And just recently, the National Children’s Interactive Workshop 2010 fulfilled my dream by giving me the chance to be one of the 26 En Verdes, the facilitators for CSIW 2010.
            It all started when Ate Anacel called and asked me if I was free for CSIW 2010. Remembering my ticket bound home, I did think twice. Fortunately, I said yes and I immediately arranged my schedule. The moment of excitement started there. I almost wanted to shout “Yes! Punta akong Tagaytay. Faci na ako! Woo!
            I really like and love kids. However, my only problem is that I have very short temper and my younger brothers can prove that. Handling 28 kids as a first time facilitator would not be easy and would be my greatest challenge. I was very nervous about handling many kids because that would be a big responsibility.
            The event started with a bang during the opening program where we had to perform and be introduced. I began praying that my “anaks” in sub camp number seven (7) would like me a lot and that there would be no problem at all. During the sub camp congregation, my voice started to rattle and shake. I started to lose my focus and I even forgot the flow I planned. I was so nervous. My kids even asked me what’s wrong. 
            What I liked most about my group is the act of volunteerism that they showed me. Back then, I was very shy to volunteer and no one wanted to become the sub camp head. But with this group, there were eight kids who wanted to be the leader. I was amused and inspired with them. If only I could pick them all as sub camp leaders, I would do so. Our sub camp leader turned out to be Gelo, an English speaking kid. Whew! My English skills would be tested here. Just like the other facis, I introduced human bingo as a form of introduction for the kids. They all wanted to win the prize and they were so enthusiastic to finish the game. I was so happy to see them enjoying the game. That day I realized what the other NECAT kept on saying; just to see a smile on their faces is worth something.
Many of them contributed names for our sub camp and in the end they chose Earth Savers. They also made their own cheer. I was so blessed and proud of them because in that short period of time they have learned to cooperate with each other. I regained myself that time. I became more confident with them. As Kuya Molo and Ate Thea called sub camp by sub camp, we learned that sub camp number 2 was called New Earth Savers. I saw disappointment in their eyes. They didn’t want to have the same name and so do I. I rattled but then I realized I need to do something to unite my sub camp once again. Just before we were called they decided to change Savers to Helpers so that their cheer will still be used. From then on, we were called Earth Helpers. Good thing it worked.

There are times that I would almost break into tears and felt helpless. No one was listening. Everyone wanted to play. Everybody was being noisy. Somebody was missing. Others wanted to go to other places. Some just wanted to sleep. I almost lost my voice by giving instructions. In the end, I learned something. They are kids. I should have expected things like these. Sometimes I asked myself, “Am I a kill joy facilitator?”  I don’t know. The kids can answer that. But there is one thing I can say for sure; they enjoyed not just because of me but mostly because of themselves. They wanted to make the most of CSIW Tagaytay.
The moment I’ve seen my anaks in pain or couldn’t breathe, I always wanted to be a hero that could ease their pain or suffering. I never wanted them to suffer. I became attached to them. I received a message from one them; she was thanking me for treating them just like my own kid. I was so touched with that. I didn’t realize that my small actions made an impact in their lives.
As CSIW closes, I didn’t want to say goodbye. I didn’t want to end in tears. But I just couldn’t help it because they have become a part of my life. They have been part of many realizations. They taught me a lot of things. They gave me the best experience in life.
Being a facilitator does not end within your sub camp. You also need to help the other committees. In the end, all of you will be rewarded. This was the first time I have experienced consecutive nights with minimal sleeps. Considering I have migraine, I prayed a lot that it would not be triggered and would not make me helpless during these days. I would not want to miss the day with my anaks. God is so kind and He granted my prayers.
Before CSIW 2010 I had an option: to attend CSIW or to have my semestral break at home relaxing. Good thing I chose the right one, to attend CSIW. This decision is one of the few decisions I would never regret.  This was the most enjoyable and memorable sem break. Thanks PSYSC! Thanks CSIW! Thanks Earth Helpers!
Kenneth Desegano Lagamayo
Facilitator, Sub Camp 7
CSIW 2010, Tagaytay

Search This Blog