Serving the Filipino Youth as a Facilitator

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

By Jan Aureo B. Bihag

So much fun!” That was what my co-facilitator said about the whole CSIW. A week of my semester break had never been this good. At first I had doubts of confirming myself as part of the team but after thinking and considering all factors, I decided to join CSIW 2010 as my contribution as a new ECAT in this organization. That would also serve as my experience on one of the two major events of the organization every year.  I volunteered to be with the other PSYSC ECATs and serve the Filipino youth in a week that should have been my leisure and family time.

As what I have heard from other ECATs with more experience on this activity, they always said that it was tiring and haggard. But after these negative statements, they always say that CSIW is fun and fulfilling. Being curious on what they had said, it further pushed me to enter this adventure and feel the things they had said.

From the first day to the end, I have wanted to surrender. Doing things that I thought I can’t do was so hard. But after the words of inspiration from the older members, I just enjoyed every moment and took time on doing things. As I also watched the other members taking it in an enjoyable manner, I just also did my part and had fun. I was also lucky to be a part of a team with lots of experiences and lots of knowledge on the organization. It was nice to be with older generations and it was nicer to see them mingle and imparting their ideas to us new ones. 

The most haggard part in being a facilitator was the time when your kids were given to you. It was just unimaginable to have 30 elementary kids to handle for four days and taking the consideration that I was still a freshman from college. Thinking of it was tiring but doing it was fulfilling and heartwarming. Every time I was behind them, a tired and surrendering face always showed on my face but every time I was with them these things should not be shown. They should always see a fresh and happy face to encourage them to actively participate on each session. It was hard to smile on a situation when you don’t want to do it anymore but there were always times where your kids will make you smile. Each new lesson and inspiration I said to them was exchanged with a smile and joy was apparent in their faces. Each encouragement I said made them do better. That made the whole thing meaningful; imparting new ideas to kids in those ages in a fun way.

At first I didn’t understand why we needed to sleep for only two hours, why we needed to sleep at dawn and why we needed to be at our best in dealing with kids. But after seven memorable days, the main reason was serving the Filipino youth and catering them in the best way as we could.
I was once a camper and the experience was really different. Being a camper, you always enjoy and amaze on every workshop and activities the camp will offer. But being a facilitator, you could see all the angles behind each activity. Fun and amazement will always be there but problems and tiring situations are inevitable. There is always a negative for every positive. In PSYSC, negatives can always be covered with many positive and happy thoughts. I can now say that being a camper was nice but being a facilitator was the best.

              In general, CSIW was fun. CSIW was enjoyable. CSIW was heartwarming. It was fun to be part of a team where the main goal was to make the youth enjoy science in a different perspective. I was once a pupil and that’s what I’m looking for in learning. PSYSC offers it and I love to be a part of the team offering it. Being a facilitator in CSIW was one of the best experiences in my 16 years of existence.

JAN AUREO B. BIHAG
En Verde 24
Batch 10A

Search This Blog