Fitting Ironies

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

By Eric C. Colmenares
Since I attended the Leadership Training Seminar (LTS) last year, I have been looking forward to be able to attend another camp. If PSYSC were Catholicism, then camp would be the Holy Week (and both are incidentally observed close to each other). This has been a retreat, a recollection, which has helped me regain focus of my chosen vacation.
Though a computer scientist by profession, ever since I entered high school, I have been fascinated by the world of science, and even more so with PSYSC at that time. Coupled with having great teachers who nurtured my enthusiasm and interest, I was able to develop this zeal of letting people in my circles know about the wonders of science, the benefits of technology, and importance of the environment. The culture of science and its propagation has become my vocation. Being with PSYSC, I can do my job at DOST better. And being with DOST, I can help PSYSC and my goal achievement would be easier.
On attending my second LTS, there was a lot of new stuff compared to the previous one. For me, there were a lot more participants, which really made me pleased as more students and advisers responded to the call.
By participating in the activities, I did have a few realizations. Personally, I never knew I already lost my idealistic self way back in college. In reflection, I have been recently taking the more practical approach to things. I guess this is how environment affects us.
By working with the advisers and teachers, I became aware of one of the causes of having the so-called generation gap. A common mistake of elder people, though not only limited to them, is when they fail to see that they can learn much, if not a lot more, from the younger generation. It is when they become stubborn that their minds become closed to other opinions and suggestions. It is time that the tables are turned, that the elders may know what is timely and current from the youth.
A few times it became competitive. Not between kids, but between advisers. It is important that we understand that by making our kids make mistakes, they grow and learn the best way possible: through experience. By letting them find out they are imperfect, they can hope for perfection.
Last night, I saw the difference on how PSYSC holds and organizes activities as compared to other organizations. The bond that the kids make with each other, and more importantly with the facilitators, has become strong in a very short period of time. They affect, if not change, each other’s lives like they have known each other for years. One cannot help but become emotional as the facilitators gave advices and thanks to all their adopted sons and daughters. To an extent, they were the ones that had the need to be rescued.
The LTS was a big success, as I can see growth in my kid. I can also see growth in me. Next year is another year, another camp. I’m looking forward to what’s in store for PSYSC in its 40th year.
Eric C. Colmenares
Adviser, DOST, Region 11

Search This Blog