A Life Changing Workshop

8:00 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

by Rafael Conquilla

Everyone is always in search of happiness- something that is broad, intangible, and elusive. I often ask myself how I would want my life to be. What really makes me happy? And for nineteen years of my journey in life, I came up with an answer- an answer which gave me something to hold on… a purpose.
The Philippine Society of Youth Science Clubs (PSYSC) gave me a chance to put another piece on my unfinished puzzle of life. I am just a new member of the PSYSC family but they already gave me their trust, and I was able to become a part of the legendary Children’s Science Interactive Workshops (CSIW) 2010. I can say that this activity was really a life-changing one.
For my five-day stay in Tagaytay with my co-facilitators, staffs, CSIW core, teachers, parents, and most importantly, the elementary students from different schools, I was overwhelmed with what I witnessed, experienced, and learned. Things turned out so differently. No one can waste even a single second.
It was during the registration when I felt the pressure. I was astonished even though I was expecting a huge number of participants in that event. It was my first time and I was having butterflies on my stomach. I had lots of questions playing inside my mind. How will I be able to manage and maintain 30 students for three days? How will I approach them? What if some problems happen? Yes, I was so paranoid, but I was there, there was no exit, I just needed to step forward.
The day came when I met my 27 cute children. I first looked at them, trying to know their personalities by face. Some were so serious, others were just fine, but one thing common in them was, they all looked smart and attentive. I then introduced myself. They were all ears. I felt glad and I thought I am not going to have hard times dealing with them. I was absolutely right!
Activities were laid out during the orientation, and things happened one at a time. I told my children not to pressure themselves on every activity, I just want them to enjoy. But it seemed that it was so easy for them to make some fun and to take their responsibilities seriously, at the same time. As I reminisce those days, I won’t forget the times when they were listening to the lecturers and some fell asleep. I couldn’t blame them. They slept so late the night before and the lectures started at seven. But I was amazed that even though some fell asleep, they were able to grasp what the lecture was all about. They could even recall the important points and facts given during lectures without taking notes. These were all proven during the Sub-camp Quiz Bee- 40 questions, 26 students. After the last question, scores were tallied, and three balays ranked number 1. Balay 21 (our balay number) was one of those. Great! There were questions for clincher round. After the third question, one was eliminated. We were on our way for the first place. The last question was uttered. The two boards were raised. Only Balay 21 got the answer correctly! And we brought home the bacon.  It was a remarkable moment for me.
My attachment to my children was strengthened during their fieldtrip. It was inside the bus when I knew them more. I figured out that almost everyone were jokers. They love laughing, and that’s what they did the whole day.
Everything has its ending, and for me, that was the saddest part of the event- the act of letting them go. Three days, I experienced and enjoyed being a father to them. Everyone shared a single and unforgettable moment that I will treasure until my hair turns gray. I will always have the picture of their genuine smiles in my head and the whole Balay 21 in my heart. We were once strangers to everyone. We started our journey. And I guess, I should not use the word “end”, “pause” is more appropriate. We paused, and when the time comes that we meet each other again, there would have another moments to make. Being a facilitator, I learned so much from this event. And I will not have a second thought if I will be assigned again to be a facilitator next CSIW.
This is what CSIW is all about. It is not only the promotion of the science consciousness to the young generations but also, it aims to widen their horizons. Giving this kind of experience to them makes everyone explore the reality of life. They were given the chance to meet different people from different places, and they were able to learn how to deal with them. CSIW is a workshop- an overall workshop that changes and develops the personality of the students in all aspects.

Rafael L. Conquilla
Facilitator, CSIW 2010

Search This Blog